But, let’s be honest. Salty sea water, hours of sun and long festival days may not be the best for your skin and hair. Fortunately, we’ve got some tips for you. Summer selfcare is the key. Just follow our lead and your hair and skin will be radiant like never before!
HydrateLet’s starts with the obvious advice: hydration. Especially in the summer, hydration is super important to keep your body healthy.
Hydration on the inside:
1. Drink circa 8 glasses of water a day.
2. You can include tea or infused water.
3. Don’t drink them all at once, spread them over the day.
4. Drink extra before your workout!
5. If you exercise a lot on a hot day, make sure you replace your electrolytes (they get lost in the sweat). You can do this by drinking a non-sugar sports drink or sportwater. Try making one yourself.
1. Use a hydrating face cream (preferably a natural one).
2. The ultimate selfcare feeling: face masks. Get yourself one once or twice a week. You deserve it.
3. Hot water will strip the oils from your skin, making your skin dry. So don’t spend too long in hot showers or baths. The hot water might feel lovely and relaxing, but it’s not going to help you keep your skin hydrated at all.
4. Always use sun protection. Apply sunscreen regularly or use a face cream with SPF.
Use natural productsThe best trick for long-term beauty? Natural, non-toxic products. Although this sounds quite trivial, so many women still use chemical stuff on a daily basis.
Granted, natural and vegan beauty products often cost a bit more than “normal” products, but it’s worth it. Your hair and skin deserve only the best. Of course, we don’t want you to throw out all your old make-up and skin care products all at once. That would be a waste! But, you can gradually tranfer to natural products by only buying natural from now on.
Need some inspiration on natural, vegan beauty brands? How about these?
Sun protectionIf we could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.
The sun is our best friend. But also one of our biggest enemies when we’re talking about a healthy skin.
If you don’t want to look like a cracked leather couch when you’re older, take good care of yourself now.
2. Go for natural, vegan brands. Good for your skin, good for the animals, right?
3. Most women only use after sun when the damage is already done. But it’s not called after sun for nothing. Use it everytime after tanning or staying in the sun for a longer time. Your skin will thank you for it.
4. Got a little sunburned? Veggies to the rescue! Cucumbers are rich in natural botanical compounds that have both antioxidant and analgesic properties. Try chilling and then blending cucumber slices to create a cool paste that you can apply to your skin. That will help relieve the pain and naturally reduce inflammation.
By the way, did you know that certain foods can enhance your tan?
Good foodsAdding certain fruits and veggies to your diet can actually give your skin a glow that resembles a beach-made tan. The key is eating foods loaded with carotenoids. Some examples of these foods: carrots, sweet potato, kale and cantaloupe melon.
A beautiful skin starts with nourishment from within.
1. Eat antioxidant-rich fruit and vegetables, like blueberries, artichoke and pecans.
2. Make sure you get your healthy fats from, for example, walnuts and avocados.
3. Vitamins and minerals are crucial for a beautiful skin.
Make sure you take in vitamin C (try blueberries, kiwi fruits, oranges, strawberries and sweet potatoes),
vitamin E (which is, for example, in almonds, avocado, hazelnut),
zinc (get it from wholegrains, nuts and seeds)
and selenium (eat shii-takes, sunflower seeds, spinach and broccoli).
Just like skin, the condition of your hair is an outward sign of inside health. The cells that make up each strand of hair require a regular supply of key nutrients. Eating the foods that are listed above already gets you a looong way. We only recommend adding some biotin to your diet. You know, the stuff that’s in the sugar bear hair vitamins 😉
You can get it easily from your food. Eating bananas, cauliflower and green peas will help you get that healthy shiny hair, even after a day at the beach.
Do you want a glowing skin and beautiful hair? Just eat lots and lots of different fruits and veggies. Then add some nuts to your diet and voilà. You really can’t go wrong.